Why book a weight clinic for your pet?
Unfortunately, pet obesity is on the increase. A study by the PDSA revealed that 80% of vets and vet nurses believe there will be more overweight pets than healthy pets by 2020.
If you’re worried about the weight of your pet or are seeking some support, advice and encouragement to help your pet lose weight then book in with one of our nurses for a free weight clinic. Our team are here to support you and your pet every step of the way on their journey to achieve their ideal and healthy weight.
The clinic involves:
- One of our nurses will take various measurements to calculate the ideal weight for your pet
- Body conditioning scoring for your pet
- Weight loss advice
- Nutritional advice (all our nurses are nutritionally trained)
- Monthly revisits to measure their progress and give you both the encouragement you need to achieve their goal weight
Why is a weight check important?
You may not be worried if your pet seems to have put on a few extra pounds but from a health point of view, size matters!
An overweight pet is more likely to develop certain health conditions such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes and arthritis. Overweight pets are also at increased anaesthetic and surgical risk.
Click here to read our weight management advice.
What is a body conditioning score?
The ideal weight of your pet is individual to its overall shape, size and breed (particularly for dogs).
The Body Conditioning Score is used to standardise the level of a pet’s weight. The Hills scale, used in most White Cross practices, ranges from 1-5 with 3 being the ideal level.
During a body conditioning score assessment, the vet or nurse will:
- Evaluate your pet’s silhouette from above and from the side
- Assess your pet’s waistline from above
- Feel your pet’s ribs
Book your pet in for their free weight clinic today
Click here to book, specifying “Free Weight Clinic” as the reason for your appointment.
Alternatively click here to contact your local practice.